Thursday, February 11, 2010

First Post

Hey, everyone. My name is Brian Cotton, I'm just your average twentysomething who's trying to write a novel. Okay, so maybe I'm not so average, but other than that...Ha ha.

Anyway, like I said I am trying to write a novel, and I'm about 3/4 of the way through my first draft, and I can tell you...If you are trying to write a novel, be prepared for the following things: the deadly inner critic, self doubt, boredom, killer writer's block, comparing yourself to the greats and falling short, but most of all, an incredible sense of excitement.

It's not all it's cracked up to be. I've been writing my whole life, but when I decided to get serious about it, the game changed. I always felt like I could just get on the laptop and type away a best seller, but was I wrong! I started criticizing every sentence, every plot hole, every character. But, you know what, now that I'm reaching the end and I see things coming together, now I'm excited.

So, what is the purpose of this blog? Well, I just wanted to create something to chart my journey, keep me motivated till I get to the end. I also wanted to share some of my insight to the other aspiring writers out there, how difficult the whole process really is. I hope that you find it insightful and not discouraging, because I can tell you, creating something like a novel is unlike anything I've ever attempted to do, and I'm sure at the end of the road it will be an adventure well worth taking.

So, yeah, that's basically it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in the comments section!

No comments:

Post a Comment